Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Anticipating the FAST Gala 2012!

It's almost here, The 2012 Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics Gala!

This much anticipated event, which we began immediate countdown after the 2011 Gala ended, will soon be here!  Beginning December 1st, the Angelman community and our supporters will be gathered at the Hilton Reniassance Chicago Downtown Hotel for a weekend long event including an Educational Seminar, Scientific Symposium, and Fundraising Gala.  This "Evening with the Stars, a Benefit for the Angels" will be a night to remember with Guest of Honor: Actor and Golden Globe Winner, Colin Farrell!

This is the 5th annual gala for FAST, but last year was my first year attending.  We are a little over 2 years since receiving Nathan's diagnosis and I am always looking for ways to be involved and meet other parents.  I had such a wonderful time meeting everyone (well maybe not everyone, there was so many people there), listening to Dr. Weeber talk about upcoming research and the real hope he has in finding a treatment for our kids.  FAST also had a live band named 7th Heaven that were awesome!!  Drinks and great conversation 'til 3am with people who "get it" meant the world to me!  Many thanks to the team at FAST made up of volunteers, and most are also parents of children with Angelman Sydrome.

I was lucky enough to be asked about my experience and if I would be willing to share it with everyone in the upcoming FAST newsletter.  Since I love to write and have this little blogging hobby, I was honored to share.  The link below is the newsletter from the FAST website www.cureangelman.org


http://www.cureangelman.org/newsletter/NewsLetter_December2011.pdf

A Mom's view of the 2011 FAST Gala by Liz Sordia
"The 2011 FAST Gala was my first and it was everything I had hoped for and much more! 

My son Nathan was diagnosed with Angelman Syndrome in July of 2010 and since that time I have connected with many AS families on Facebook, so when I knew how many of them would be going, I really wanted to go and meet them in person. 

I arrived in Chicago on Saturday morning sporting my Angels On Earth – Angel wings hat, hoping to be recognized by other Angel families. I was quickly greeted by a few of them that had gathered in the lobby of the Hyatt. As I spotted my Facebook friends, I walked up and introduced myself. I quickly felt that even though I had arrived alone, I was now among family. 

I had so many wonderful conversations with so many people. We laughed, we cried… 
It was with such ease that we bonded over the love that we have for our kids. It is almost indescribable, the feeling that I get when I am around other AS families. Only they truly understand what life is like as an AS parent. No explanations needed.
Prior to the FAST event, I had received the email announcement about the Colin Farrell Gala Ticket Giveaway, I quickly entered and I WON! I was so grateful for the opportunity to meet Colin at the event and to personally thank him and share in a conversation. He has a heart of gold and I am proud that he is a member of our AS family.

I was so caught up in all the wonderful moments of the weekend that I didn’t get to take as many pictures as I wanted, but my memories and new relationships will remain in my heart. I am hopeful as I look forward to the future as the clinical trials began and I will continue in fundraising efforts for FAST. Thank you all so very much and let the countdown to Gala 2012 began!"





Thanks again for letting me share and I am looking forward to seeing everyone in my AS family!

Lizzie xo

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your article and am looking forward to meeting you in person at this year's gala! :)

    ReplyDelete